TG Cap: Gradual Acceptance

Img source: https://twitter.com/shaddoll_fusion/status/1697188040371053032
Artist: とりしゅ

It's been a while since I've written something with this kind of bittersweet mood. At the time I finished editing this I also had five finished but unreleased captions ready, which was quite satisfying.

Martin, an accomplished and well known adventurer, was drinking by himself at The Tiring Tater, a tavern he always frequented. Yet, nobody recognised him, not even close friends of his who were there as well.
The reason why nobody could recognise him was obvious. After a disastrous raid on what turned out to be a hideout of a Graft worshipping cult, he among with several others had had their bodies altered extensively.
In his case, he was transformed into an incredibly beautiful yet weak blonde girl. In a sense he had come out lucky, since some of the others either had even worse physical changes, or mental changes.
Though the idea of having his mind forcibly changed horrified him, he was almost jealous of those who had had them. Being turned into a dimwitted lusty bimbo, or a submissive maid would have made adjusting so much easier.
Instead, he was stuck in his current state, unable to get used to his new body, ashamed of it, its weakness, and his failure during the raid. Even if it made him lonely, he was relieved that nobody recognised him.

"Hey boss, could you do me another..." *Sigh* "No wait, something stronger. Do you have some of the usua-.. I mean, Thysian vodka?"
The tavern's owner Yorick, who frequently tended to the bar, raises his bushy eyebrows slightly.
"Oh? That's quite the order. I might have some... Girl, who told you I stash that stuff though?"
"Ah-! I uhm.. sorry, it's my usual at another place, so... I ordered it out of habit..."
"... Hmmm... Y'know... over the years I've gotten pretty good at noticing when people are being honest and when they aren't, and you are giving me some mixed signs here.
Luckily, I have this good friend who is always a lot of help whenever someone is trying to dupe me about something serious. Coincidentally, Thysian vodka is also his usual, and he usually sits in the spot where you are currently sitting."
Martin looks down, and his heart is racing. The idea of being recognised was terrifying, but a part of him did quietly hope for it.
"Y'know, ever since you walked in I've felt like there was something odd but familiar about you. It's you, isn't it Mar?"
"No I-I... ... D-don't tell anyone..."

- Three years later -

Marian, one of The Tiring Tater's barmaids, was carrying a large platter and two big mugs of beer across the fairly crowded tavern floor.
Though it had taken a long time, and a lot of effort, she had become fully adjusted to her new body and life.
On that day several years ago, Yorick had offered her to work at the tavern, which she hesitantly accepted. Her job as a barmaid had been incredibly tough in the beginning because of how weak her body was, and because of the shame she felt for it.
Speaking to people she knew in her previous life was particularly difficult. Luckily for her, Yorick was an understanding boss, and her fellow barmaid Lori supported her at all times. By now, she had regained a lot of strength and confidence.
"Hey there you two~! I've got your food and drinks."
She hands the beers to the two patrons and places the plates from the platter in the centre of the table.
"Enjoy and let us know if you need anything else!"